Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

What would you recommend I do prior to my visit to Scotland?

We highly recommend that any traveler to Scotland purchase independent travel insurance which covers medical costs; it is a small investment that goes a long way in ensuring your welfare. Another good measure to take is to register your trip with the Consulate General; registration can be completed online at
While you are on the website, take a look at the Country Specific Information which provides up-to-date information on the UK. In the months before your travel date, you will also want to check your passport's expiration date to make sure it is valid and will not expire before your return trip. While you are here, please maintain a tight grip on your passport; having to replace the passport and your other valuable IDs and credit cards can seriously detract from a good holiday.

I want to come to Scotland to work / live / visit /study. What do I need?

Please see the website of the British Embassy in the United States.

I want to work at the U.S. Consulate General in Scotland. Are there job openings there?

Vacancies for State Department positions throughout the United Kingdom will be advertised at on the website of the U.S. Embassy in London.  Applications for internships and other state department positions can be found on the State Department website.  The U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh cannot accept any applications directly, but when there is an opening at the Consulate we advertise on our website and in our newsletter.

Why doesn't the Consulate General in Edinburgh issue visas?

After the UK became part of the Visa Waiver Program in the late 1980's,there was a significant reduction in the number of persons needing visas to travel and, subsequently, Edinburgh ceased to be a visa-issuing post. The State Department is currently looking at ways that advanced technology can expand the locations for visa-processing. When this change affects applicants from Scotland, we will widely publicize the service.

I lost my U.S. birth certificate. How do I get a copy of this document?

An official copy of a Birth Certificate can be obtained from the state in which you were born. The same holds true for other vital records such as marriage, divorce and death certificates. You can find the contact details for each state on the National Center for Health Statistics website or order your documents from the VitalChek express document service.

How do I get an official replacement copy of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)?

The Consulate does not keep CRBAs on file, but you can obtain an official replacement copy by sending a written request to the Department of State in Washington, D.C. Current information on how to apply and fees can be found on the Department of State's website.

Amending or correcting your child's CRBA
If you notice an error on your child's CRBA when you receive it, please contact us by telephone on 0131-556-8315 or by e-mail to
To amend or correct a Consular Report of Birth after 30 days has passed and the records have been sent to Washington D.C., submit a written request, accompanied by certified copies of all appropriate legal documents related to the requested amendment/correction, i.e. foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, court ordered adoption or name change, birth certificates of the adopting or legitimating parents, affidavits, etc. The original FS-240 or replacement FS-240, or a notarized affidavit concerning its whereabouts, also must be included. NOTE: Allow at least 6 months from the printing of the original CRBA for the Vital Records Se
ction to have your CRBA properly documented, filed, and available.

How do we get married in Scotland?

As of February 01 2005, non-UK citizens who wish to marry in the United Kingdom will need to have the correct visa.

How do we get married in the United States?

Requirements vary from state to state. An excellent source for each state’s requirements for marriage can be found at 

How do I obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage?

The United States does not issue “Certificates of No Impediment”. Most Scottish Registrars are aware of this and waive that requirement.

How do I get a background check for my new job?

The FBI handles fingerprint records and provides the documentation needed.

Is it true that my state drivers license cannot be used in the UK?

In most cases, your valid stateside drivers license can only be used in the UK for a grace period of one year. In order to legally drive and maintain insurance after the one year point, you will need a British Driver's License. Getting the license requires taking a theory test, as well as, a driving test so it pays to plan ahead. The UK Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency has additional information.

What is an International Drivers License and can I use it in the UK?

The term "International Drivers License" or "International Drivers Permit" may be a bit of a misnomer because the document is not a license by itself nor does it allow driving privileges. The document is not a substitute for a state drivers license or a UK drivers license but is sometimes requested to be shown in conjunction with these documents at auto rental agencies. What it provides is a translation of a valid drivers license into several languages. Internet search engines can provide a list of numerous companies that will produce an International Drivers License for a fee of about $50. The UK Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency has additional information.

What items are prohibited from entry into the United States?

Information on U.S. customs matters may be found on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website  including importing and exporting, law enforcement activities, and a “Know Before You Go” guide for the international traveler.